Monday, April 21, 2014

Week of 4/14

It was a scheduled rest week of sorts so I only did 14 miles (2 runs).  My plan for the rest of this year is to maintain a steady 35-45 mile a week base and to work on my speed at distance in anticipation of running a 100 miler next year.

Seeing as how Sunday was Easter, the group decided to not be heathens and ran the 9 mile loop at Umstead on Saturday.  This was my first run over 6 miles in a long time during which my Garmin was not tracking my every step, as I was trying out my new Soleus Ultra watch (NFI).  It was liberating to not be able to look down and see my pace at every single moment.  The extra added benefit was that one of my buddies and I did the last 2 miles fairly quickly (sub-7's).  If I would have been using my Garmin, I know I would have slowed myself because mentally I would not have thought that such a pace was sustainable with the last mile long climb that we did.  The learning point being, +1 for the mental aspect of what we do.



The group has begun discussing the next race.  It's starting to look like a bunch of folks will do the City of Oaks Marathon in November, which would be awesome.  Although I won't be running an ultra this year, I will definitely run at least 1 organized marathon (and a few more during training probably)!

No comments:

Post a Comment