Friday, April 4, 2014

JFK50 race report


Ok...so many months later I still have not gotten around to writing a race report.  I suppose it has been to long for me to write a real one so here is a a summary of my thoughts, which I guess could be considered a race report.  I am glad I ran the race, given its history and size (a 1,000 runner ultra - what?!?!).  That being said, I don't think I would run it again.  The race was well organized and the volunteers were amazing but the course design just isn't my thing.  I knew going into it how much road/tow path there was but I had never run such a race.  Having done so, I know that I enjoy more off road races, especially ones with little to no pavement time.

I ran the entire race in the Brooks Cascadia's and had no issues.  The shoes did just fine on the final long stretch of pavement.  This was my inaugural race with the UltrAspire Spry vest and I couldn't have been more pleased.  I used it for 43 of the 50 miles and only switched to a handheld for a stretch so I could charge my Garmin (I put the battery pack in the zip pocket of the handheld).

In the end, I ran a sub-11 50 miler and that was my goal before the twins arrived.  My new training schedule leading up to this race of doing a long run on Saturday, followed by a 10 miler on Sunday paid drastic dividends.

No comments:

Post a Comment