Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Building a base...

I guess technically my base building began last week with an unexpected 32 mile week.  Although I didn't think I would be worrying about building my base for a couple years, since we just had twins, my wife told me the other day that she supports me doing another ultra next year (amazing).  Out of an abundance of caution, I confirmed her statement a few different times over the following few days!

Which leads me to the week of 4/07.  I was planning on having around a 20 mile week, as I haven't ran more than 16 miles  in the past 5 weeks (which was last week) and the four weeks before that were whopping 5 mile weeks!  By the end of the day Saturday I had 19 miles in and was going to call it a win. We had friends running the Raleigh Rock n Roll Marathon and were planning to watch at a few points on the race.  As logistics go, I figured it would be easier just to run to the course and make a few shortcuts along the way to see my friends in a few different spots than deal with parking.  It was an abnormally warm day, so I actually ended up spending some time with one of my friends that day, which lead to a 13 mile Sunday.

It is truly baffling how my body has transformed over the past year.  I rarely did more than 20 mile weeks in the past but given the volume I did last year, I was able to run a 32 mile week out of nowhere after basically not running for over a month and it was no big deal.  I guess it is just one more step towards relentless forward progress.

My race plans for the rest of this year are to run a marathon with my wife - either the Raleigh City of Oaks Marathon or the St. Louis Rock and Roll Marathon.  If we end up doing the STL marathon, I will likely flip around 2 weeks later and run the City of Oaks with a few friends.

I have begun the search for an ultra next year and am debating between a 100k and a full 100...stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment